News & Events
Physics & Astronomy
College of Letters,
Arts, & Sciences
University of Southern
News & Events
Special Event: On March 20, 2001, Stephen Hawking will present a
public lecture "The
Universe in a Nutshell" at USC. The lecture is sponsored by the
for Theoretical Physics.
- Staff Recognition
- March 2001: Congratulations to Ty Buxman, Director of Undergraduate Affairs, for being awarded the Employee of the Month by the USC Staff Assembly. Ty has worked in the Physics Department since 1995 and is a indefatigable and dedicated employee. We are lucky to have Ty and join with the University in congratulating him on this honor.
- Robert Hellwarth Appointed University Professor
- February 2001: President Sample announced the appointment of Robert W. Hellwarth, Professor of Physics and Electrical Engineering as "University Professor". This title is awarded to those professors whose multidisciplinary interests and significant accomplishments transcend any single field of study. Dr. Hellwarth's outstanding accomplishments bring honor to the University and the Department of Physics and Astronomy. We congratulate him and look forward to his continuing achievements.
- Featured in LA TIMES
- January 2001: D-Star Technologies, based in Long Beach, was featured in the LA Times Business Section on January 3. The firm, founded by USC Physics Professor Jack Feinberg and postdoc student, Dimitry Starodubov, is installing laser equipment to produce light-wave amplifierss for Internet networks. The article "Firms Working in Optics Technology Play to the Southland's Strengths" focuses on D-Star and the budding optics industry.
- Archive of Previous News & Events